New YMCA - 156th & Ida
We are building a new branch in Northwest Omaha on 156th & Ida, a co-op project in conjunction with Omaha Public Schools to bring a multi-use high school and YMCA to fruition.
The new YMCA partnership with Omaha Public Schools at 156th & Ida will provide vast opportunities for the Northwest Omaha community.
The YMCA of Greater Omaha and Omaha Public Schools are steadfast organizations in the Omaha area, committed to serving diverse communities and strengthening the potential of youth.
The new YMCA partnership with Omaha Public Schools in northwest Omaha will provide the following opportunities for the community:
- State-of-the-art high school experience that supports healthy mind, body, and spirit
- Improve quality of life through access to enriching recreation and wellness programs
- Health and wellness resources to accommodate community growth and serve all ages
- Development initiatives in early childhood, school age and teen programs
- Support economic development in northwest Omaha
- Student education and job training for teens entering the workforce
- Providing access to physical and mental wellness for all socio-economic groups
An integrated YMCA with the newest Omaha Public Schools high school provides opportunities to achieve greater health and well-being, a place to connect with others, and make a difference in our community.
The new facility will accommodate youth development programming by:
- Providing dedicated space for students, teens and families
- Building teamwork and discipline through youth sports
- Providing safe, supervised Childwatch area for children while parents exercise or attend school functions
- Teaching water safety to prevent drowning, a leading cause of accidental death
- Reducing the “summer slide” with engaging camp programming
- Creating a safe, secure place for out-of-school activities
- Developing on-site opportunities for employment and career training
The facility will include the following features to promote healthy living programs:
- An indoor swimming pool to accommodate both competitive swimming, water safety education and community use
- Community based wellness programs that establish a foundation for healthy lifestyles and overcome chronic health challenges
- Auxiliary gymnasium for youth and adult sports
- State-of-the-art fitness center with free weights, resistance and cardio equipment
- Multipurpose rooms for activities like wrestling, dance, and group exercise
The YMCA’s commitment to social responsibility programming is highlighted by the unique partnership with Omaha Public Schools. This location will allow for convenient access for both those who live in and commute to the area. The partnership will be an added attraction to the city, appealing to families, students, and individuals.
In keeping with the YMCA’s social responsibility focus we will continue to:
- Serve as a community partner and connector
- Promote volunteer opportunities
- Contribute to the economy as a major employer
- Provide financial assistance to children and families in need
- Offer an added amenity to attract new families
- Train lifeguards to support water safety
- Retain OPS students in district