The Diabetes Management Program is a physical activity and education program designed to help adults with type 2 diabetes reclaim their health.
Participants will work with trained staff from the YMCA and Alegent Creighton Health to increase their physical activity and learn how to improve other aspects of their current lifestyle to better manage their diabetes. Participants will receive individual attention in a group setting, creating a safe and fun environment to reach their goals.
15 Month Program Has Two Phases:
PHASE 1 – Kick-start your goals and get your diabetes under control! For the initial 13 weeks, participants will participate in 2 guided physical activity sessions per week, led by certified YMCA trainers, as well as at least 1 additional day of physical activity on their own. During these weeks, they will also attend 8 education sessions led by Alegent Creighton Health registered nurse certified diabetes educators.
Phase 2 - Continue your success and maintain healthy changes! For 12 months after the initial program, participants will take part in continued guided physical activity, independent physical activity, and quarterly fitness assessments and education sessions. Guided activity will gradually decrease as participants will determine their own routines for continuing physical activity in the future.
• Small group training with YMCA personal trainers
• Diabetes education from a Certified Diabetes Educator
• Lab Work (A1c & fasting glucose; 3 times over 15 months)
• Body Composition Analysis (via InBody 520; 6x over 15 months)
• Fitness Assessments (strength and endurance, 3x over 15 months)
• Free household membership to the YMCA
• Log Book (will be used to record food, drink, physical activity and blood glucose over initial 13 weeks)
DID YOU KNOW?
Six pilot groups participated in the initial 13 week program in 2013. Of the participants who completed the program:
1) 80% of participants improved their A1c level (on average by 0.6%)!
2) 80% of participants lost weight and/or improved their body composition
3) 95% of participants felt they could sustain their changes in the future
Apart from these outcomes, many positive changes were also seen in the physical fitness measures including cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and flexibility.
2014 PARTICIPATING LOCATIONS
ARMBRUST YMCA - 5404 S. 168th St., Omaha, NE
COUNCIL BLUFFS YMCA - 7 S. 4th St., Council Bluffs, IA
MAPLE STREET YMCA - 7502 Maple St., Omaha, NE
SARPY YMCA - 1111 E. First St., Papillion, NE
For more information or to get registered for upcoming classes, please contact Molly Mieras . 402-334-8487 . email@example.com