HealthWorks for Diabetes is a physical activity and education program designed to help adults with type 2 diabetes reclaim their health.
Participants work with trained staff from the YMCA and CHI Health to increase their physical activity and learn how to improve other aspects of their current lifestyle to better manage their diabetes. Participants will receive individual attention in a group setting, creating a safe and fun environment to reach their goals.
In this 13 week program, participants will participate in 2 guided group physical activity sessions per week, led by certified YMCA trainers, and also participate in a total of 8 education sessions led by CHI Health diabetes coaches. Participants are expected to set individual goals with their trainers and educators, record their daily food/physical activity/blood sugar, attend all weekly sessions and complete the pre- and post-wellness assessments.
• Diabetes and lifestyle education from a diabetes coach
• Small group training with certified personal trainers
• Household membership to the YMCA for the duration of the program
• Fitness assessments, lab work (A1c), and body composition analyses
• Log book to record food, drink, physical activity, and blood sugar over the
2015 PARTICIPATING LOCATIONS
ARMBRUST YMCA – 5404 S. 168th St., Omaha, NE
COUNCIL BLUFFS YMCA – 7 S. 4th St., Council Bluffs, IA
SOUTHWEST YMCA – 13010 Atwood Ave., Omaha, NE
SARPY YMCA – 1111 E. First St., Papillion, NE